Search This Blog

Thursday 21 June 2012

Are elderly people worthless?

So, my Great-Grandmother (who is 99, 100 in august, happy birthday nan!) got a call from her doctors surgery. She just had some bloodwork done so her and her daughter (my nan, 77, her carer) went to the doctors thinking it was something to do with that.

It wasn't. In fact the Dr called her in to ask her if she would like to be resuscitated "if" something happened.

My Great-grandmother is far from tired of life, she said, "yes, of course I would want resus".

The doctor went on to tell her the surgery has been asked to get this information, and to illiustrate the "pitfalls" of resus. Yeah, like not being dead......

She again explained she wanted resus, and the doctor then proceeded to blank her, talking instead to my grandmother, asking her to "talk" to my g-nan about it when they got home.

I am horrified. Are our elderly people in the U.K now defined by how much it costs to keep them alive?


No comments:

Post a Comment